Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pre Challenge Fling

This morning we decided to try out a small, family-run, diner that one of our customers told me about recently. We are from NY, where family-run diners abound. We have lived in Louisville (also know as Land of Chain Restaurants) since 1989 and wondered if the menu was similar to what we remembered of the diners back east. I decided to put aside my raw intentions (while there was still some time before the challenge) and give it a go.

It was disappointing, to say the least.

I feel full yet unsatisfied. It’s strange, feeling full but not feeling nourished. I had a typical SAD (Standard American Diet) breakfast of eggs, potatoes, bacon, toast and coffee. I usually do not eat a breakfast like this, so why I felt the need to have it now could only be attributed to pre-challenge lust. I knew it wasn’t going to be nutritionally sound, but I thought it would at least taste good. Like, an Oreo isn’t good for me, but I still think it would taste good. Hopefully, that sentiment may one day change. My meal just wasn’t tasty and definitely not worth the digression. The more I think of it, the more unappealing it is (better stop thinking about it). And rationally speaking, even if it tasted good, it wouldn’t have been worth it health-wise.

I miss my usual breakfast of freshly juiced kale, celery, apple, and lemon. It sounds strange, but it’s really good and very energizing. I actually crave more greens the more I drink them. My daily juices are getting greener and greener as I progressively add more kale leaves. Throughout the morning and early afternoon, I eat fresh fruit and cut up raw veggies (organic cukes with the skins are my current favorite). Then it usually goes downhill from late afternoon on. I get busy at the restaurant and end up famished. Being around the smells and the food we prepare is difficult. Well, not wanting to focus on that right now, joining the Rawfu challenge will help me stay focused on what I want to do. Letting you all in on what I’m trying to accomplish will help, too.

I feel like one betrothed who has taken part in a series of pre-wedding flings…
a morning of promiscuous eating, an afternoon of forbidden snacking…

I guess with food, it’s just as unfulfilling.

1 comment:

Danny said...

I am Gabrielle's husband and we are gearing up for Bunny Berry's 100 day challenge. I even made a blog of my very own http://ihateavocadosandtomatoes.blogspot.com
I suppose opposites do indeed attract. Gabrielle is great and is concerned about our health and I love her for that. I support her in this challenge to the point of stepping out of the box and doing it with her. I do have selfish reasons for wanting to do it with her. My reasons are I hate the way I look and feel. I am trying to watch what I eat but I need this upcoming challenge to keep me focused.
~Danny
~And remember if you need to heat it you don't need to eat it! :)